In this article we will learn:
What is the audience builder
The audience builder is used to create segments of contacts for message sending, message triggering, searching contacts and filtering analytics reports.
Using include and exclude rules and rule sets, you can create dynamic segments of contacts that are updated in real time when performing a search or when a message sends. Real time contact results can be seen in the contact counter at the top of the page when creating or editing audiences.
Multiple data sources can be used to create rules and rule sets:
- Contact Attributes
- Message clicks and opens
- Message send history
- Cart Items
- List association
- Custom events
How to create and save audience rules
For this example we will create and save an audience rule for contacts that:
- Belong to the list "newsletter".
- Have opened a message in the last 30 days.
- Have not clicked a link in the last 30 days.
- Navigate to Contacts › Audience Rules
- Click the button labeled "+New".
- Click the button labeled "Add rule" to open up the list of available rules.
- Choose the button labeled "lists" to add the list rule.
- Select the option for "Matches any" and type the name of the list in the list field.
- Add a new rule for "Behavioral - opens" and select the options for "Have opened any message within the past 30 days."
- Add a new rule for "Behavioral - clicks" and select the options for "Have not clicked any message within the past 30 days."
- If you have contacts that match this audience, you will see the contact count update to the correct amount.
- Save the audience as an audience rule by clicking the menu labeled "Action" and then "Save". You also have the option to "Save As" to save a duplicate of the rule under a different name.
- You will then be able to recall this audience rule for future use.
In the next article we will learn about message scheduling and throttling.